Sunday, June 6, 2010

Off to Epicenter in Dublin


I am once again off to Dublin this week to speak at the Epicenter 2010 Conference again. Although I do enjoy a good Guiness I am also looking forward to the conference and the topics I am covering this week as well as the hours of travel to catch up on some pre-release tasks. We are just wrapping up our 2.1 release of EclipseLink as part of the Eclipse Helios release train and there are many new features I am excited about so travelling this week will give me a chance to complete some examples for the release and blog about the features all EclipseLink users will want to learn about.

I am speaking this week on performance and scalability. Even after 13 years of helping customers use TopLink and now EclipseLink I still find diagnosing, solving, and innovating in these areas some of the most interesting work I take part in. Helping customers learn what they need to know about their models and application use cases and translating them into their object-relational mappings, schema, and usage of their persistence layer is challenging and often poorly understand by Java developers.

The persistence layer enables performance and scalability but there are many simple decisions developers can make while configuring and coding to their persistence layer which are made early in projects and have big effects late in projects when trying to reach their performance and scalability goals. Understanding what these decisions are and what the trade-offs are is so important and hopefully I'll help some of our Irish community avoid common pitfalls.

After working with a couple clients this week dealing with tough performance goals and very complex models I have some great examples I'll be adding to my cook book of slides on my way over the Atlantic.

Hope to see you in Dublin...

No comments: